Do you want to learn how to think clearly about important decisions? This introductory finance course will open the door onto the world of finance and will examine multiple applications to apply to your everyday life. Join the course to understand better how to apply frameworks and tools to make smart financial choices for your life.
Check out also:
Personal Finance Planning (MOOC)
The Best Way to Finance MBA Studies
About this course
This course will teach you to value the impact of the various choices available to you: questions such as renting or buying property; evaluating car, home and student loans; deciding whether to go to college versus pursuing a new idea; or simply understanding how the financial world works.
Starting with the time value of money, the course will help you to develop a full appreciation of the many applications of finance. Using real-world examples, the course will enable you to understand and analyse many of the personal and professional decisions we confront on a daily basis. You will understand stocks and bonds, learn to allocate scarce resources in a value-adding way, and adopt smart tools for making everyday decisions.
Finance is simultaneously a way of thinking and a set of tools. Finance is everywhere. There are no prerequisites for this course except for a sense of curiosity and a positive attitude. However, a comfort level with algebra and numbers and an understanding of accounting (the language of business) will clearly help.
The course will try to cover everything, starting with the fundamentals, and will highlight when there is a need to do some further work on specific subjects connected with finance and decision making.
What you'll learn
- Why finance is everywhere and how it affects all of us
- An understanding of the financial world, and an appreciation for the beauty and power of finance
- The fundamental knowledge, skills and tools of finance and the ability to apply them everywhere, in personal and professional situations
- Different frameworks for decision-making
- Skills in using different decision-making tools and making sound personal and professional financial decisions
- The concept of Time Value of Money (TVM) and appling related tools and frameworks to everyday decisions
Starting date: 5 April, 2016
Instructor: Gautam Kaul
Institution: University of Michigan